If you are affected by fire damage, you likely have many questions and concerns. There are so many options of who you can call for repairs or remodels, but it is helpful to assess the damage with a professional and weigh your options. ServiceMaster Professional Cleaning and Restoration can help you with a free quote on options for fire restoration in Newtown Square, PA.
Fire restoration can be a very intense project. While it is recommended that you hire a professional to ensure everything is properly restored, there are many things you can do to start the restoration process. Here is a list of simple steps you can take to start the process without hindering a professionals ability to properly restore the damaged area:
- Gather all clothing and fabric that has been affected by heavy smoke. Take these items to a professional dry cleaner for complete cleaning and odor removal.
- Purchase some cheese cloth and tape it over the ventilation system vents. This will prevent soot and ash from spreading throughout your home.
- Discard any open food containers that could be contaminated from the fire damage.
- Change the filter on your furnace. It has likely trapped some fire residue and that odor will just be transferred throughout your home.
- If the weather is nice enough, open the windows of your home to air it out. It is recommended that you only open a few windows around the affected area, to avoid a draft carrying the odors to other places in your home.
- If you lost electrical power due to the fire, clean out your fridge and freezer. You can place charcoal inside each compartment to absorb odors when the doors are closed.
- Clean any chrome fixtures immediately to prevent tarnishing.
It is recommended that you call a professional immediately to properly formulate a fire restoration plan. The above steps should help you get a head start on preventing further damage. The aftermath of a fire can continue to damage your home so bad that even professional fire restoration methods will not work.