ServiceMaster Professional Cleaning and Restoration encourages Exton residents to check their smoke detectors regularly.
Smoke detectors are a critical means of defense when protecting yourself and your family against smoke and flames. Families with working smoke detectors in their homes cut their risk of death during a fire in half. According to the National Fire Protection Association, about half of home fire deaths happen as a result of fires that happen at night, between the hours of 11 p.m. and 7 a.m. Nearly two-thirds of fire deaths occur in homes with no smoke detectors or smoke detectors that do not work. At ServiceMaster Professional Cleaning and Restoration, we would like to remind local families such as yourselves to prevent fire damage in Exton, PA and the surrounding communities by checking your smoke detectors regularly.
Maintaining your smoke detectors is easy! Simply test each alarm once a month to make sure that everything is in working order. You should replace the batteries twice a year. We recommend doing this important task at the start and end of Daylight Saving Time so that it’s easy to remember. We also suggest checking the date of manufacture on the back of the alarm. If the smoke detector is 10 years old, it’s time to replace it.
Is your home properly equipped against flames and fire damage? When you check your smoke detectors this month, make sure they match the following guidelines:
- There is a smoke detector installed on every level of the house, in every bedroom, and in hallways that lead to sleeping areas.
- They are installed on the ceiling, about 4 inches away from the wall.
- No smoke detectors are placed near windows, vents, or other areas of the house that have a draft.
- You have placed your smoke detectors outside of the kitchen and at least 10 feet away from the stove to avoid false alarms.
- When possible, smoke detectors should be interconnected so that when one detects smoke or fire, the entire house is alerted.
- Each family member knows how to exit the building safely when the smoke detector sounds.
In an emergency, every moment counts. Keep your family safe when disaster strikes by making sure your smoke detectors are working properly and you have an emergency plan in place. In the event of a fire in your home, call ServiceMaster Professional Cleaning and Restoration immediately for fire damage restoration in Exton, PA and the surrounding communities. We provide 24/7/365 emergency response for fire, flood, and other emergency scenarios to ensure that you and your family can feel safe at home once again.