A fire can devastate your home and destroy anything it comes in contact with. The first priority after a fire is to hire a firm for fire damage restoration in Exton, PA so further damage resulting from soot and smoke plus the water used to extinguish the fire can be prevented.
Prevention of Fires Resulting from Extension Cords
It is necessary to select the correct extension cord for the task required and ensure it is used as directed. You need to be aware of the fact that if the extension cord you are using is used incorrectly, the cord can overheat and cause a fire.
Overheating will generally occur if any appliance is connected which consumes a higher amount of watts than what the extension cord is able to handle. Also, if the cord is damaged, that too can result in a fire.
Damage or Overheating
Overheating will generally occur at the socket, plug, or throughout the cord. Hot sockets or plugs are often the result of deterioration of the connection to the cord’s wires, or a higher amount of watts being drawn through the cord than it is rated to safely handle.
How to prevent damage or overheating
You should regularly check extension cords for visible signs of excessive damage or wear of the sockets, plug, or insulation Immediately replace any extension cord that shows signs of any type or degree of damage.
When an extension cord is being used, if any part of it feels hot to the touch, or if you detect the odor of hot insulation, the cord is overloaded and should be unplugged immediately.
How to Prevent Overloading
Never use an extension cord that cannot supply the required wattage of the item or appliance it will be connected to. If an item or appliance has a required wattage rating that is greater than the wattage rating of the cord that means the cord cannot handle the electrical needs of the item or appliance.
Tips on Buying the Right Extension Cord
Buy cords that have safety features such as polarized plugs, grounded (three-pronged) plugs, and a safety enclosure and plug face which covers the slots.
Ensure the cord you purchase is of minimum of 16 AWG (AWG is used to describe wire size). You will find this information on the packaging, tag, or imprinted on the surface of the cord.
Purchase cords that have been certified by a testing laboratory like CSA International (CSA), Intertek (ETL), or Underwriters Laboratories (UL).
In the event your home has been damaged by fire and you want to hire a company for fire damage restoration in Exton, PA, get in touch with us. ServiceMaster Professional Cleaning and Restoration has the required certification, training, equipment, and expertise to restore your home within a short period of time. All you have to do is call us on our emergency helpline – 610.524.8003 – and our restoration experts will reach your home to check the level of damage and begin the restoration tasks.