We all like to think that bad things could never happen to us. When bad things do happen, they only happen to careless people or people who don’t know what they’re doing. In our minds, bad things are exclusive to faraway places and/or individuals who deserve them.
However, bad things do happen to people like us – people who are just living their lives and trying to keep their families happy and fed. Despite what you might do, sometimes you could end up dealing with something like the need for sewage cleanup. When it does happen, you need to handle the situation a certain way:
- Keep children and pets away from the area contaminated by sewer water. Don’t allow them to play in or eat anywhere near the water as this could make them sick
- As strange as this may seem, it’s important to turn off the electricity in your home along with the water supply. If you can’t turn off the water supply, make sure you don’t use any plumbing until the situation is professionally taken care of
- Your home is going to start to smell, and there could be toxic fumes present, so it’s important to thoroughly ventilate the area. Open doors and windows to make sure air can get in and out. You need to do this even in the dead of winter
- If there are any items in the affected area that are dry and uncontaminated, take them away as quickly as possible
- Call your insurance company and let them know about the situation. It’s also a good idea to take pictures so you can document the damage. Pictures will also help you recall details and save time
Just as you should always get help with hoarding cleanup, so should you do the same when it comes to sewage cleanup. Don’t attempt to deal with the noxious mess by yourself. Hire a team of professionals who will know exactly how to handle this type of hazardous situation.
Contact ServiceMaster Professional Cleaning and Restoration of Chester Springs, PA, for reliable sewage cleanup assistance. We can be reached here or at (610) 431-3553.