There are many ways water can damage a building. For example, moisture can lead to mold growth and rot organic building materials; freezing water can burst pipes and crack concrete; and flooding can create stains and bad odors. The myriad ways water can compromise your building’s integrity and your quality of life is varied, but with professional restoration services, any damage can be quickly reversed, leaving your home or business in pre-loss condition. ServiceMaster Professional Cleaning and Restoration has a team of expert restoration technicians with the skills and technology to revitalize a building with any level of water damage. We provide comprehensive water damage restoration in King of Prussia, PA, and the surrounding areas, including emergency services that are available 24/7/365.
Water Damage Restoration
Water damage can create small issues like minor mold growth, but it can also create massive structural problems like damage to the building’s foundation. A foundation should be built to last decades, if not longer, but sometimes a combination of soil shifting, seasons changing, and certain water exposure can cause problems.
Signs of Water Damage
There are clear signs of when a foundation may be in need of professional water damage restoration. Some of the most common indications include:
- Mold and mildew: If your basement has a distinct mildew smell, or you see streaks and patches of mold on the walls, it’s likely there is a water damage issue somewhere in the foundation. Mold can pose health risks if it’s left to thrive. It also consumes cellulose, an organic material present in wood, paper, drywall, and many other building materials.
- Discolored walls: Outside of mold patches, if you see discoloration on the concrete walls of your basement, it likely means a crack is present in the home’s foundation. Concrete stains when it comes into contact with groundwater and the minerals present in the soil. Discolored walls or flooring upstairs can also be an indicator of a cracked foundation.
- Visible cracks: If you can actually see a crack in your home’s basement floors or walls, it might not always mean there is a water damage issue. However, a crack paired with the presence of moisture, dampness, mold, or discoloration is a true sign of foundation water damage.
- Wet walls: Contrary to some movie magic, your basement environment shouldn’t be the same as a cave. Basements should be water-tight and hold the same air humidity as the rest of your home. Walls and floors that are constantly damp likely mean you have a foundation water damage issue.
- Musty smell: If you’re smelling a musty or strong mildew smell in the upper levels of your home, it may be a sign that your home’s foundation is damaged. That musty smell comes from the presence of mold or mildew, or from rotting wood.
If you have any of these problems occurring in your basement, your home’s foundation could be damaged. To learn more about professional water damage restoration in King of Prussia, PA, contact ServiceMaster Professional Cleaning and Restoration at (610) 524-8003 to reach our main office.